lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2008

Culture Clash or Culture Mix?


It is obvious that Rita and Frank have different backgrounds. Although there were times of misunderstandings ("off me cake"; the TV programme, and so on) there were other times where both cultures complemented each other and helped to overcome their problems.

I believe Rita was the most concerned about this clash, she was the one who felt she wasn´t up to the level of "Frank´s people" to have a discussion or simply to talk "about things that matter".

She is the one that is not happy with the class she is in and with the culture that surrounds her while Frank is thrilled by the way she speaks, makes herself understood and doesn´t want Rita to loose this important part of her life.

I believe we should get to know more than one culture at a time and form one of our own. Choose and select the parts you like, the parts you feel comfortable with and go with what you feel and believe and create your way. That is, in my opinion, what Rita does in the end. She is so intoxicated by this new culture that she cannot see properly.

When she takes the time to think about her actions (during the test) she realizes that each and everyone of her experiences have helped her create her own culture. That is why Rita goes to Frank´s office, she wants to tell him that she now understands the meaning of that "be careful" he once told her.


Programme of Study - Question 10

1 comentario:

Gladys Baya dijo...

To me, Romi, it's Trish's attempt to commit suicide that triggers off this "final" (for us) change in Rita: it's now apparent no one can tell us how to live our lives best. Each of us must make their own choices and this is what Frank has been preparing Rita for...

It's now the end of our school year, and I can only hope I myself have somehow contributed to empowering each of you, my understanding teacher-learners, and thank you for your contributions to my own development.

To each of the 10 "Ritas" in my class this year (pls, Romina, accept my apologies for using your blog as my "microphone" today), the following words are born from my heart:

All the best,
Gladys